Find information on scholarships, grants, awards, and other financial aid at the Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto.
- Major awards
- Minor awards
- Completion grants and emergency funding
- Further information
- Award links
- Producing persuasive proposals
There are two types of major awards: internal and external. Which of these types of awards (if any) you get may have a bearing on the funding you get from the Department. Details about sources of funding are available on the School of Graduate Studies scholarships web page.
“Internal Awards” are those you do not apply for, but may be nominated for internally, from within the University. All students may qualify for a University of Toronto Fellowship. Some of the special awards for international students are internal awards.
These are awards that you apply for to a granting agency outside the University of Toronto. The School of Graduate Studies maintains a web page that describes the regulations, including deadlines, for applying for external awards. You may also want to use the links below. The most common grants for anthropology students are awards from SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR, and the Wenner-Gren Foundation.
There are also in-course scholarships and various other minor awards for students who have begun their programs. These do not normally have an effect on your base funding package. For details of some of these, please visit the School of Graduate Studies and the Faculty of Arts & Science scholarship websites. The department keeps students updated on new and upcoming awards.
Completion grants are available to allow you to finish your degree in certain circumstances. In circumstances of special need, emergency funding may be available from the School of Graduate Studies (SGS). For general information, visit the relevant web page on the SGS website.
- Awards for international students
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR)
- Canadian Anthropology Association (CASCA) Richard F. Salisbury Award
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- Community of Science
- Faculty of Arts & Science Scholarships
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Ontario Council on Graduate Studies
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Peter K. New Awards
- Research and International Relations at U of T
- School of Graduate Studies Financial Support
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Wenner Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research