Guide to the Undergraduate Programs

Registration and Enrolment | Undergraduate Handbook | Undergraduate Forms

Selecting your program of study (POSt):

A subject POSt, or program of study, is a group of courses in a specific discipline. There are three levels of programs:

  • specialist program
  • major program
  • minor program

At the St. George campus, Arts & Science students are required to enrol in subject POSt(s) at the end of the session in which they complete their fourth full-course equivalent. Students can only enrol in subject POSts offered on the St. George campus. For more information on Subject POSts, as well as admission and enrolment criteria, please refer to the Faculty of Arts & Science.

What are the requirements of your POSt?

Requirements differ for each POSt. These requirements are outlined in the Department of Anthropology Programs of Study, as well as the current Faculty of Arts & Science Calendar.

How can you get involved in extracurricular activities in the anthropology department?

Become a member of the Anthropology Students’ Association! The ASA hosts a variety of events throughout the school year, including movie nights, lecture series, pub nights and seminars on topics such as applying to graduate school. They also offer academic resources such as past syllabi and tests, and can assist you with a variety of anthropology-related queries.

Go to department colloquiums – colloquia are open to everyone and are held in AP 246.  You can check the anthropology events section for complete details.

Check out the Archaeology Centre, including Archaeology Centre events!

What opportunities exist for fieldwork as part of your program?

Arts & Science degree students in their third year (i.e., after completing at least 9.0, but not more than 13.5 credits) can take part in research excursions led by department instructors, when available. These excursions are instructor-supervised group projects that take place in an off-campus setting, and allow students to participate in a practical, experiential activity. The excursions are offered under the 398H0 course code and take place within the May-August period. Regular tuition fees apply, and travel expenses are covered by the Faculty of Arts & Science. Please visit the Research Excursions Program web page for more information on available excursions, and how to apply.

Students in the social-cultural stream can take ANT 490Y: Field Course in Social and Cultural Anthropology. This course provides students with an opportunity to take part in an off-campus experiential study project, under the supervision of the course instructor. ANT 490Y is not offered every year.

Professor David Begun leads a paleoanthropology field school in Rudabanya, Hungary. The field school (ANT 330Y) is a study in Great Ape and human origins, designed to introduce students both to the theory and methodology of palaeoanthropology. It is administered by the University of Toronto in conjunction with the Geological Institute of Hungary. More information can be found on Professor Begun's website.

On occasion, faculty members will have other fieldwork opportunities available for interested students. In such situations, students can apply to take part in such fieldwork through an Independent Research Course (ANT 497Y/498H/499H). Additional fieldwork opportunities will be advertised when available, or students can contact the faculty member with whom they wish to work.

Several fieldwork options exist for students in the Archaeology Specialist program. Please see the next section for a detailed summary of these field research opportunities.

Completing the Field Requirement in Archaeology Programs: your options

There are three main ways to fulfill the field requirement in the Archaeology program. In addition to the three options listed below, other opportunities may arise on a year-to-year basis. These opportunities will be advertised accordingly.

1) Complete one of the following courses offered by the University of Toronto:

2) Participate in an archaeological dig organized by a non-accredited institution (ARH 361Y/H1: Field Archaeology):

Course Description

This option provides an opportunity for students participating in non-degree credit Archaeological digs to submit reports, field notes and term papers for degree credit. The course is approved under the ARH 361Y1 or ARH 361H1 course code.

Prerequisite: Permission of Supervisor and Undergraduate Coordinator.
Distribution Requirement Status: This is a Social Science course
Breadth Requirement: None

How to obtain credit:

  • If you find an archaeological dig that you wish to participate in, you must obtain permission from the Undergraduate Office PRIOR to participation.
  • When you return, submit a letter to the Undergraduate Office from the organizers confirming your participation.
  • Find a supervisor (usually an Archaeology professor).
  • Fill in an application form (please note that the supervisor must sign this form).
  • Submit the application form to the Undergraduate Office.
  • For more information and the application form: contact Josie Alaimo in the Undergraduate Office.

3) Participate in a Field School offered through another university:

Students have the option of locating and participating in field schools offered through other universities. Typically, students must register as a visiting student at the university that is offering the field school. Upon completion of the field school, the student can transfer the earned credit so that it counts towards their University of Toronto degree requirements. For more information on transferring credits, contact the Transfer Credit Office.

What is an Independent Research course and how do you apply for one?

An Independent Research course (ANT 497Y/498H/499H) is supervised independent research on a topic agreed on by the student and supervisor before enrolment in the course. These courses are open in exceptional circumstances to advanced students with a strong background in anthropology, who have completed a minimum of 10 credits. Independent research courses can be taken during any semester and can be either H or Y courses. A maximum of one year of Independent Research courses is allowed per program.

Prerequisite: A minimum of 10 credits, permission of Supervisor and Undergraduate Coordinator.

The Course Supervisor must be a member of the Anthropology Faculty, and the student must ask the Faculty member directly whether they are willing to supervise such a course. Students should keep in mind that it may be harder to arrange for a summer Independent Research course, because many faculty go to the field to conduct research during the summer session.

As a part of the application, the student must include list of required readings and a breakdown of the evaluation method. The application form can be obtained by contacting Josie Alaimo through email.

Check deadlines by contacting the Undergraduate Office.

Have you completed your program requirements for graduation?

To confirm if you have completed your Anthropology/Archaeology program requirements you should see Josie Alaimo, the Undergraduate Program Administrator/Student Counsellor at AP258, 416-978-6414.

After Graduation: Your Options

Careers in Anthropology